Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Lemon Basil Ricotta Stuffed Shells

I have to say that I had high expectations for this meal! and was sort of let down. I am only posting because my husband thought they were really good, so maybe my pallet was just off. So you be the judge and let me know what you think :)

Lemon Basil Ricotta stuffed shell in a Champagne cream sauce

1 box of jumbo shells
1 -1/2 cups ricotta
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup basil ( i used dried because I was out of fresh--would recommend fresh)
1 cup grated romano cheese
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 clove garlic
3/4 cup champagne
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Salt & pepper to taste


First in a medium sized bowl pour in your ricotta, then add your lemon juice & basil. then add salt & pepper along with half of your grated romano cheese. mix lightly. place in fridge while making the noodles

Then butter a large baking dish ( or two small).  Bring a large pot of water to boil with salt.
Cook the jumbo shells aldente.

When the pasta is cooked remove from water, drain well & spread out onto a baking sheet or parchment paper. Start to stuff your shells ( i use a regular old table spoon) When the ricotta is all gone move the stuffed shells over to our baking dish.

The sauce--tips: make sure you have all the ingredients already measured out, it happens all really fast, I think that is were I went wrong in my sauce, it ended up more thick then creamy, my oops!

With a small sauce pan melt your butter, when melted down add your garlic. cook until fragrant & soft, not browned. Whisk in the flour and cook while you whisk away about 1 minute. Then add in the champagne and continue to whisk while you pour in your heavy cream. Continue to whisk while it bubbles, and slightly thick 1-2 mins. Add pepper, remove from heat & pour over the stuffed shells.
sprinkle the rest of your Romano cheese over the pasta.

Place in preheated oven at 350
Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling... roughly 20-25 mins.


Try this with
Blackberry spinach salad



Recipe from
Simply scratch

No comments:

Post a Comment